Monday, November 1, 2010

Monday, November 1st Post

Why didn't my middle school/high school require us to read Seedfolks? I asked myself that question once I finished reading the book. I loved how each character was so different yet they were all united by the garden in the lot. There was that central unifying link bringing various ethnicities, cultures, ages, and genders all together into one envrionment. Young adults need to learn that there is something bigger than ourselves out there in the world. Yes, we all have our problems and tend to focus on our needs and wants, but what I love about this book is that it shows young adults that there IS something bigger to focus on---the lot. The lot stands for so many things such as teamwork, friendship, respect, responsibility, etc. These are the bigger ideas and values that children should be focusing on --the big picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment