Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday, November 8th: MGRP Reflection

Reflection
            The multigenre research paper was a challenge for me in the beginning. Because there are so many critical issues facing education today, I found it difficult just picking one topic. The process I used to finally narrow down my research topic was very similar to the writing process that we teach to our students. I created a list of topics that I found interesting; however, I had to then narrow it down to those topics that directly influence my future teaching. Because of my background in music, I’ve always had a passion for incorporating the arts within a standard elementary classroom curriculum. Because of my prior experiences in the arts, it was exciting to read research articles that discussed essential questions such as, “What is arts integration,” “Why is arts integration important,” and “How can teachers integrate the arts in a meaningful way.” Once I uncovered these essential questions through my research, I was able to begin my inquiry process. Those three questions generated even more questions pertinent to the application of the arts within a literacy program. The multigenre research project allowed me to experience the inquiry and writing process at an entirely different level. I had to gather data and organize it in such a way to support my argument about the importance of arts integration. I plan to save all of my research articles for my future teaching because they provided me with many ideas on using music, art, drama, and dance to enhance literacy learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment